Wednesday, July 15, 2009
I might not like you but thanks.
I am a true believer in that everyone comes into out lives for a reason. One of my favorite quotes is "We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace." by Peggy Tabor Millin. We could learn from people if we could just learn to listen and observe objectively. Some of our greatest friendships can come from the most unexpected places if we allow ourselves to be objective. Everyone has some good in them and although we might not get along with every person we cross paths with, we can learn and grow from our interactions. Even it is to learn we want nothing to do with that person, that they are negative and are (for lack of a better word) poison to our well being. I think sometimes not getting along with some one, can make us stronger. We all have difficult people in our lives whether it be co-workers or clients, or even a family member, but I feel that you have to cease the opportunity. I personally have a couple of difficult co-workers, that for a while were making my work experience extremely aggravating. I would dread going to work, because I knew it would make me angry. I had a bad temper that I couldn't seem to control I would snap at my co-workers friends and family. I was becoming very snippy. This getting me upset because I consider myself a very easy going person. Somewhere down the line I realized that I have control of my actions and how I feel. I am able to isolate myself from the situation. I have learned to be more patient and have recovered my easy go lucky attitude at work. I have grown to be able to ignore certain actions and let certain comments slide. Lately I have found if I make a joke about the situation this sometimes helps, but I am also trying to be careful not to bring any unnecessary negativity to an already negative situation. After all you can't fight fire with fire. Although I will never become close friends with these co-workers or will ever truly like them completely as people I feel they have helped me become a better person. Not all relationships are easy, but I don't believe they should be. I feel even the best of relationships have some rocky times, but those moments are what make the bond stronger. It is important to spend as much time on the healthy relationships that make us happy. Ultimatily we have the right to pursue happieness, so don't we owe it to ourselves to focus or attention on making the good relationships as strong as they can be. I am completely blessed to have some really wonderful friendships and have a great family that help me through the difficult relationships. Another thing I have learned at work and somewhat goes with Peggy's quote is that a smile can make the world of difference. A simple gesture, but can spark unexpected things from people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment