Tuesday, May 19, 2009
It Always Easier
In retrospect every thing seems easier. My psychology professors would say this is because you are looking at the situation with knowledge that you learned from the experience. Therefore you are looking at the same situation through the eyes of a older smarter you. Even when you look back minutes later the theory applies. That could also be why the more you practice something the easier it seems to get. I was only thinking of this because I was feeling that it was easier to deal with my mother's mood swings when I was younger. Now a lot of things factor into why this was true or why I think it is true. I think the biggest reason is my siblings lived at home then too. Growing up we could always band together, not against her, but just to survive. My mother is not a evil person by any means, but there is something to the idea that a mother's mood rules the home. When my mom is stressed or upset she shows it, and where else to show it then at home. It's better then here going to work or in public cross. She is a master of the sugar coated fake "I'm happy" in public. (A skill I am trying to fine-tune). The problem as a family member is that it is not always obvious when she is upset. She might come home from work and seem fine, but she comes out of her room in a bad mood. I feel that sometimes she might try to carry over her fake "I'm happy," and then just can't last the full day. Whatever the reason it can set you as the receiver off in a bad mood too. When I was younger and this would happen, normally Matthew would ask if I wanted to go outside. I'd jump at the chance. We'd go play Frisbee, basketball or baseball. On rare occasions we go for a walk(this normally depends on Mom did she need us nearby to help with dinner or something. No reason to add fuel to the fire). Now I'm the only one at home, so it is not so easy to make that escape. I think it was easier as kids too, because we didn't always quite understand. We might see that our mom was upset, but we weren't always in tuned to why. Now theory I mentioned doesn't quite fit the situation, however I can say I have learned from dealing with my mom one on one. Every day with the growing tension I learn better and more effective ways to not let my mom get to me. I will master the solo art of battling the mood swing mother. I love my mom and wish I knew what I could do to make this difficult time easier for her. For now I will continue to help where I can and stay out of her hair when she is grumpy. I think the latter is best for both parties involved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment